Confession: I don’t read books! It’s one of the things I would like to do, but find really hard. I read a lot online, and I love words and all things linguistic.
However, sitting down with a book has become strange and difficult lately (well, probably for about ten years, so it’s not a very recent development).
I’m not one of those people who think that technology is generally bad and that it grabs our attention in an unhealthy way all the time.
I use technology to connect with my loved ones, and I’m grateful for my interweb, my podcasts and all the youtubers I follow and – hello – this blog! I actually drew the doodle for this post while watching Youtube 😀
And – for the record – I don’t think you have to read books to be cool or smart or a good person.
Buuuut, I do think that reading books started dwindling for me after I got a smartphone sometime in the early 2010s. And it’s something I miss, because it’s a different way to relax than being on a screen. And because screens are very connected to work, because I work with digital communication things.
I used to love books when I was a kid and a teen, but somehow the big ol’ internet became my only source of reading material. And also I think years of studying kind of took away the magic of reading and made me think of it as a chore.
Okay, I read a bit
Except comics. I love comics and still read them on paper ❤
I also love the library and go there a lot, bring home books, forget to return them, get fines, pay fines, get more books, etc.
It’s also not completely true that I don’t read books. This year I’ve really tried for the first time in a while, and I actually managed to finish two (!) relatively short books, a novel and a conversation type book – both in Danish. So I guess I do read a bit, but it’s hard for me to stay concentrated for more than 5-10 minutes when reading a paper book.
… Sounds a lot more fancy than ‘doodling stuff’.
Like with the lemon water vs. coffee doodle from last month, I’m trying a bit to visualize myself reading and enjoying it. I think that’s why I drew this doodle, but I didn’t really think about it until after. I don’t know if these soulsearching doodles should be my new thing 😀
What I do think should be my new things, are:
- not shaming myself for not reading enough books
- grabbing a book and reading for at least 10 minutes today (without my phone within reach!).
- When I started writing this post, I went to look in my pile of library books and scared the crap out of a spider who was living a quiet life in between the books and the bedroom wall. Literally living proof that I don’t read.
- I don’t own a chair like the one in the doodle, I just sit in my couch or at the dining room table.
- The crumpled up bits of tissue paper lying around in the drawing are accurate, however. I leave a trail of them wherever I go, and it drives my bf nuts. I’m trying to switch to something more eco-friendly to wipe pasta sauce off myself and mop up the coffee I spill, so now I’m sometimes using kitchen cloths instead.
You get some interesting tidbits about my life when you read all the way to the end, huh?! 😀
Since you’re here at the bottom of the page, you must be quite the fan. If you want to support me, you’re very welcome to check out my products on Redbubble or: